Consumer demand increases for Smart Home technology

posted on Friday, 17th January 2014 by Steve May

Smart home  CEDIA  Somfy 

[#pageName]

New statistics released by CEDIA reveal that a massive 91 per cent of UK consumers aspire to having whole house control or some form of Smart Home automation system. The news will comes as a massive fillip to CI specialists in the run up to ISE 2014.

The consumer research, carried out at The Gadget Show Live in 2013, polled over 700 consumers. The most coveted Smart home tech transpired to be automatic blinds and curtains, with 90 per cent of respondents wanting them. Outdoor speakers and audio systems (presumably multi-room?) were desired by 87 per cent. Lighting control and energy management systems followed, with 85 and 83 per cent interested respectively.

Encouragingly, 31 per cent of those surveyed would choose a home technology professional to install this type of technology. However, a large proportion of consumers said they would opt to DIY given the choice.

When quizzed on the type of existing tech they have and use at home, 65 per cent of respondents nominated their home audio system. Running the hi-fi a close second was home security, with 53 per cent saying they had a system. A further 49 per cent also claimed to have a home cinema. Interestingly the remaining 51 per cent also all wanted one, which shows interest in home theatre certainly hasn't waned.

CEDIA Executive Director in Region 1 Wendy Griffiths says she's delighted to see so many people aspire to smarter living: "We're also excited by the opportunity this presents to CEDIA members who should see the great potential available for repeat business from people who have already started to embrace automated features in their homes," she says.

For more CI trade body CEDIA visit our resouce page here. For more on blind and curtain control visit our Somfy partner page here.

Also read:
Rako wireless lighting system review

Living the smarfter life with KNX and Control4

Sony unveils Life Space UX concept 4K showroom

Steve May

Steve is a veteran of the UK consumer electronics industry, having covered it for
various media outlets for more than 20 years.

Share this!

Have your say...

Sorry guests can't post comments.

Please Login if your an existing member or Register a new account.

Authors

Tags

projectors  3D  lcd  home cinema  tv  Speakercraft  Lighting Control  Apple  Design  Installs  Meridian  Artcoustic  Control 4  Processors  HDMI  CI TV  CEDIA  Lighting  Subwoofers  Apps  Media Server  CES  CD players  Speakers  Architectural  Streamer  Multi-room  Control  AMX  Touchscreens  Commercial  HD over IP  Hi-fi  Blu-ray  Panasonic  Smart  Crestron  Home automation  Training  Corporate  Retail  Power conditioners  Social media  Tablets  Residential  Education  Automation  PR  Charity  Linn  Arcam  Marketing  4K  ISE  Awards  iPad  LED  Plasma  Zigbee  Pro  Interactive  Distribution  Appointments  Wireless  Outdoors  Epson  AWE Europe  OLED  Android  Screens  Smart home  Eco  DAC  Genesis  Rako  Opus  Trade  Lutron  HVAC  DLNA  Network audio  lighting Design  ISF  Karma-av  Cables  Streaming  Loudspeakers  Alan Titchmarsh  Wiring  Calibration  Matrix Switcher  Wryestorm  Wyrestorm  Ethernet  HDBaseT  Events  Retra  Video Conferencing  In-car  Furniture  Luxury  Research  Somfy  2012 Olympics  Sky+HD  UltraViolet  Infocomm  Smart Building  Olympics  Audiophile  Super Hi-Vision  8K  D-Tools  CEDIA EXPO  Multimedia  IFA  AirPlay  NFC  Music server  Interior Design  High-end  Digital signage  Mirror TV  IP Networking  Habitech  Networking  Waterproof  Nuvo  Konnectiv  Control4  Security  Landscape  Cor  Showrooms  Marine  Mounts  Soundbar  HD Connectivity  IPTV  RGB Communications  Broadcast  Sonos  KNX  Racking  Savant  THX  Expo  AV  Amina  Aldous Systems  Trade show  Invision UK  IP Camera  Dali  Seating  Movieserver  Datasat  Automotive  Robson Acoustics  High Res Audio  Monitor Audio  Christmas  Auro-3D  Wi-Fi  JVC  Dolby Atmos  RTI  StormAudio  Marata Vision  Enterprise  Home  Netw  Leaf 

Latest Posts

Leaf to debut HDCP 2.2 4K UHD switches at CEDIA Expo

Leaf to debut HDCP 2.2 4K UHD switches at CEDIA Expo

22

Aug

2014

posted by Steve May

New "game-changing" Ultra range first to be CEA Ultra HD compliant

More...
.
The first Install & Technology Solutions Awards announced

The first Install & Technology Solutions Awards announced

21

Aug

2014

posted by Steve May

Introducing ITSA: the only independent Awards for the UK CI industry

More...
.